Begin A New Adventure!

Coming soon, a new Minecraft experience!

Building a Minigame Network: Blog #1

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by unenergizer, Nov 10, 2016.

By unenergizer on Nov 10, 2016 at 6:36 PM
  1. #1 unenergizer, Nov 10, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    Hello everyone!

Since it has been awhile since my last "minigame patch" post, I figured I needed to come up with a way to keep everyone informed of what is going on and stay active. So that being said I am starting a mini-blog talking about what is happening with the developers and whats going on with the project. Alright well, lets get this party started!

As you may already know, we basically have everything we need to run a true mini-game server. We have a custom hub, we have custom mini-games and custom game worlds. Many of you have played the content and many of you have been involved in the project in one way or another. However, we still have a HUGE problem...

So whats the problem then? Well lets just be frank. The minigames aren't that fun and the lobby/hub is boring. While everything was made from scratch, that doesn't mean the content created is any fun. That being said, the server does have potential. As a matter of fact, it has tons and tons of potential. Which, is why we keep working on it. But... How do we make the server fun? What features can we add that will give the server what it needs to make it to the top? It is a difficult thing to answer but I think I have come up with a solution. The answer? Rethink, redesign, implement, test, and repeat. I have been doing this for quite some time now. It actually seems and sounds easy to do, but in all reality, it was a great challenge. During the process I found myself questing every move I make. I would question every idea. I would critique everything harshly.

See I take this project serious. I have ALWAYS wanted to make games. As a kid the Nintendo (NES), Sega Genesis, and Nintendo 64 had me hooked! But... Nothing compares to the time when I first seen a 3D game. I was at a friends house when I was about 7 or 8 years old. He had a computer with Windows on it. I had only used computers in school. So games were not allowed on the computer. Anyways my friend showed me this game....

IT BLEW MY MIND! Never have I ever played a game like that. And at that time, those were great graphics! I love games and I have always loved games and I probably will always love games. Since I am not an artist, a story writer, musician, or a graphic artist I am limited to making games using Minecraft as my "game engine." So what does all this even mean? It basically means I have not and will not give up on this project. It moves slow because coding with only one other person is a slow process. We have learned from ours and others mistakes. Our code is highly salable, well commented, and very easy to work with, unlike some popular servers that have gone down and will never return. That being said, the underlying technologies that has gone into making all of this possible have been difficult to get working and a lot to learn. For instance, we have recently switched from a MySQL database to a Redis database. Redis is a lot faster than MySQL. We made this switch because we have a great usecase for Redis, it has more than 100x faster than MySQL, and has a big following. My thinking if other servers are using this, then their must be a reason. So I decided to look into it. I saw the comparision (read/write) results between the two database types and I was sold that this is what we needed. It took about a month to learn Redis and to implement it into our project. I have heard a rumor that Hypixel is using Monogdb, which is a NoSQL database (like redis) but is a little bit slower than Redis. If that is true then it could be possible that our database read/write speeds could be better/faster than Hypixels. Which is something neat to think about. Okay, now that Redis seems to be running correctly we are able to move onto the next big feature of the server. So we decided to completely redoing the Hub. We have some really awesome features and a new hub map coming soon. I don't want to say to much about this other than you might end up wanting to play in the hub more than in the minigames. ;)

So most all of the hard work has been completed code wise. We still have a lot to implement, but it is going very well so far. I am convinced what we are working on is something really special that I think players are going to enjoy for many years to come (after it releases ofcorse)!

Cheers!
    unenergizer

P.S. I want to give a big shoutout to @hposej for helping me code the project. He usually pitches in some time on the weekends when he is out of school. hposej is the only other person who has actually seen the source of the project. Our project code totals over 60 thousand!
    P.S.S. Sorry for the extensive rambling. LoL

Mathre190, Rayne and Robert_fr like this.

Comments

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by unenergizer, Nov 10, 2016.